Senior Backend Engineer
Senior Backend Engineer
🌍 UK (Hybrid)
💰 Negotiable DOE
⭐️ Our Perks
❤️ Monthly Health & Wellness budget, increasing with length of service
📚 Annual Learning and Development budget
🤸🏽♂️ Flexible working in a choice first environment - we trust the way you want to work
🏢 WFH Equipment (let us know what you need and we’ll get it for you!)
🌴 25 Holiday Days + your local bank holidays, plus an extra day for every year of service
🎂 Your birthday off
🤒 Paid sick leave
🍼 Enhanced Family Leave - (UK Only)
⚕️ Optional healthcare plan
📈 The ability to share in the company’s success through options
🍿 Perks including discounts on cinema tickets, utilities and more
🎉 Annual Chattermill summits plus regular socials throughout the year
🌆 If you’re in London, a dog friendly office with great classes, events, and a rooftop terrace
🦸♀️ The Role
As our Senior Backend Engineer you’ll play a key role in developing new functionality for our app.
👉 What you'll be doing:
- Work in a fast-paced environment to develop new functionality in our app while improving the performance of our existing APIs.
- Brainstorm features with our product manager and designer and guide decisions based on your knowledge of the codebase
- Assist our skilled Customer Experience team in triaging bugs and solving issues in production
- Spread the knowledge of new web technologies and best practices within the team
- Take part in peer code review
- Be involved in all steps of the project including design, architecture, implementation, automated tests development and monitoring the health of the systems in production
- Work in a multi-functional team to exceed our customers expectations
🧰 What you’ll need:
- Strong experience working with Ruby
- Good CS fundamentals and practical knowledge of SOLID principles and design patterns
- Proficiency with PostgreSQL, good understanding of differences of SQL and NoSQL databases, ability to choose the right data storage for any particular use case.
- Understanding of patterns for asynchronous messaging, practical experience with RabbitMQ and/or Kafka
- Good hands-on experience with Elasticsearch
- Ability to choose the right caching strategy for different use cases, practical experience with Redis
- Understanding of 12 factor app principles and requirements for cloud native applications
- Practical experience with Kubernetes and ability to write specs for k8s objects for your apps
- Experience in finding and fixing bottlenecks in complex distributed systems, experience conducting load and disaster recovery testing
- Experience designing and building applications in microservice architecture
➕ It'd be a bonus if you have:
- Practical experience with Golang
- Experience with Prometheus, setting up alerts with Alertmanager
- Experience with minikube
- Experience with Helm or/and Kustomize
- Experience with managed Kubernetes in the cloud (preferably GKE)
- Good understanding of web security aspects
✨ Chattermill - Who we are:
Co-founded by Mikhail Dubov and Dmitry Isupov in 2015 while at Entrepreneur First, Chattermill was born out of their frustration that it took weeks, sometimes months, for customer research to yield any quality insights. Often, these would be out of date by the time they reached decision-makers. And it was also financially out of reach for most companies.
When they started what eventually became Chattermill, they had a hunch that they could use the newly available tech of deep learning to help companies find insights amidst messy data. Their vision was to take what agencies and cutting-edge brands were doing by hand and automate it.
Today, our Unified Customer Intelligence platform is used by the world’s best-loved customer-centric companies including Uber, HelloFresh, Wise, and more, all of whom can now see, and act on their customer reality.
Our Mission, Vision, and Purpose
- Our mission is to empower teams to see their customer reality
- Our vision is to Analyse Over a Billion Pieces of Customer Feedback by 2027
🔎 Our Hiring Process
- Let’s introduce ourselves – you’ll have an introductory call with our Talent team - we’d love to learn more about you, your ambitions, and what you’re looking for in your next step.
- Get to know your would-be team – you’ll have a call with your would-be manager, Andrew Ivanov, to learn more about the role and show off your experience
- Show us what you are made of – you’ll complete a task, which you’ll then run through on a call with the team
- How our values and your career goals align – you’ll have a call with our cofounder to learn more about life at Chattermill and ensure we’re the right place for your next stage of growth
💖 Our Values
🧞♂️ We are obsessed with experience – We take our mission to rid the world of bad Customer Experience seriously, and we practice what we preach.
🪂 We believe in the power of of trust – Whether it's with each other, our customers, partners, or other stakeholders we always communicate with openness and trust.
🔑 We act as responsible owners – Whether it's about the company, a team, a project, or a task, having the freedom to make decisions in our area of responsibility is a crucial driver for us.
🌱 We share a passion for growth & progress – On every level, we’re motivated by taking on new challenges – even if they seem out of reach. We recognise that we are learning machines and we always seek to action feedback and improve collectively.
🌕 We set our ambitions high but stay humble – We've come together to build a product and a category that’s never been seen before. While we're an ambitious bunch with lofty goals, we don't approach this goal recklessly.
👥 We believe the right team is the key to success – At Chattermill we’ve learned that all our important achievements have been the result of the right people collaborating together – that’s why we need you to apply today!
🌈 Diversity & Inclusion
We want to enable exceptional experiences for everyone, and to achieve this we need everyone’s voice in our team. We are on a mission to bring more diversity into the business in 2023 and to give everyone (from all backgrounds and abilities) a chance to join us, even if they may not fit all of the requirements set out in this job spec.
We realise that some may be hesitant to apply for a role when they don’t meet 100% of the listed requirements – we believe in potential and will happily consider all applications based on the skills and experience you have, we’d love to be part of your growth and we encourage you to apply!
We believe in removing unconscious biases from our recruitment process wherever possible. As part of this effort, we ask that you do not include your photograph or personal details with your application.