Engineering Manager - Data Platform
As the Engineering Manager at Blacklane, you will play a crucial role in setting the technical direction, driving product innovation, and ensuring the successful delivery of our products. Additionally, you will be responsible for building and leading a strong engineering team, while fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous improvement.
- Data Platform Vision:
- Oversee the technical vision for the data platform in alignment our data strategy.
- Lead the design, implementation, and continuous improvement of the Data Warehouse architecture, ensuring scalability, reliability, and efficiency.
- Collaborate with business intelligence and analytics teams to understand their needs and integrate their feedback into the data platform strategy.
- Advocate for data-driven decision-making throughout the organization and ensure that data platforms and tools support these initiatives.
- Collaborate closely with data scientists and ML engineers to understand their needs and ensure the data platform supports advanced analytics and ML initiatives.
- Data Modeling and Management:
- Spearhead the development of robust data models that effectively capture and organize data for analytical and operational uses.
- Implement best practices in data modeling, ETL processes, and data warehousing to ensure high-quality data and efficient data flow.
- Oversee the integration of new data sources into the data warehouse, ensuring data consistency and compliance with data governance standards.
- Craftsmanship and Delivery:
- Lead initiatives to implement and refine data governance, data quality, and data security practices within the data platform.
- Stay abreast of emerging trends in data engineering, big data technologies, and cloud data solutions to continually enhance the data platform.
- Set and maintain high standards for development practices, code quality, and delivery excellence.
- Lead and mentor a team of Data Engineers and Analytics Engineers fostering a culture of craftsmanship, attention to detail, and continuous improvement.
- People Leadership and Development:
- Build and lead a high-performing team, providing guidance, mentorship, and professional development opportunities.
- Set clear goals and expectations for team members, fostering a collaborative and supportive environment.
- Conduct regular performance reviews, providing constructive feedback, recognizing achievements, and identifying opportunities for growth.
- Champion a culture of continuous learning and personal development, encouraging knowledge-sharing and fostering innovation within the team.
- Data Engineering Expertise:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Information Systems, or a related field, with a strong focus on data engineering.
- Proven experience in data warehouse design, data modeling, and data management, with a deep understanding of data warehousing concepts, ETL, and SQL.
- Familiarity with data visualization and reporting tools (e.g., Tableau, Power BI), and experience in integrating them with data platforms.
- Leadership in Data-Driven Environments:
- Demonstrated ability in leading data engineering teams, with a track record of successful delivery.
- Experience in fostering a culture of data quality, accuracy, and privacy within engineering teams.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to think strategically about the role of data in achieving business success.
MORE THAN A JOB:
Blacklane is a scale-up started in 2011, founded by Jens Wohltorf and Frank Steuer who wanted to create the first global chauffeur service. We started by filling chauffeurs’ ‘empty leg’ journeys and have grown with our partners to over €100 million in annual revenue (pre-pandemic). Backed by Daimler and other investors in Germany, Japan, Switzerland, and the UAE, we’re now a trusted brand within corporate travel.
We believe in ethical business practices and have a strong company culture.
- Continuous Learning: We believe that open and actionable feedback is the essential component of continuous development. Set your personal development plan and take an active role in our internal learning communities to progress your career.
- Flexible Working: Even the most ambitious Blacklaner needs some time to unwind. Find out what works for you and your team with flexible working hours and home office days.
- Become Part of the Crew: Get to know your fellow Blacklaners through our regular team socials. Our success comes from a collaboration of more than 350 people from 70 nations and we are looking for more exceptional people to join us!
- Employee Stock Options Plan: We want all Blacklaners to benefit from the company's success, so every employee gets virtual stock options.
- Fair Remuneration: We’ve banded salary levels and matched them to the local costs of living, meaning you’re always paid fairly and you know that the rest of the crew is too.
- Sustainability: We care for both people and the planet, having launched the mobility's industry-first global carbon offset scheme in 2017. Blacklane has pledged to deliver 15% of its journeys in electric vehicles by 2023.
- Equal Opportunity: We are committed to inclusion and diversity. A company is only as strong as its crew, so we developed a work environment that is inclusive, inspiring and open. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Blacklane Cares day: Every crew member receives 8 hours of paid leave per year to participate in volunteering initiatives of their choice or lead employee-driven community outreach projects. Utilize your time to lend hands to a cause that drives your passion.
Upgrade your career with Blacklane