Senior Software Engineer - Java (f/m/d)
As a Senior Backend Engineer (f/m/d), you will be part of one of our autonomous agile teams. You will help us develop the services that power the Blacklane, work on improving our back-office system, or solve problems in the fields of payment, pricing, geolocation, dispatching, flight tracking, and more.
Our environment is composed of Go, Typescript, Ruby and Python services, designed using DDD. These services are deployed to our Kubernetes cluster and communicate via domain events using Kafka. Some of these services are event-sourced, using diverse data storage such as Postgres, MySQL, Elasticache, Elasticsearch, Redis, and DynamoDB.
We use GraphQL to aggregate data and serve our mobile and web applications.
Additionally, you will:
- solve a variety of problems in adopting our products to specific markets
- ensure a good test coverage, write documentation when needed, engaging in code reviews and knowledge sharing.
- dedicate part of your time to improving the overall performance, usability, and maintainability of the systems you're working on.
- dedicate part of your time to improve yourself and learn new things.
- be part of a motivated, open-minded, and friendly team determined to improve the travel experience of our guests.
- You are proactive, curious, and a team player.
- You are experienced (at least 5 years) with Java and (1-2 years) Golang language.
- A solid understanding of basic algorithms and graph theory
- You're familiar with the HTTP protocol and have some experience with using and/or developing REST APIs.
- You have experience working with distributed systems/services.
- You collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure the reliability and scalability of our systems.
- You write quality code, maintainable and follow best practices. You are familiar with at least some of the challenges of distributed systems. You are not scared of working on an existing codebase.
- You have experience with or want to learn more about GraphQL.
- You have experience with or want to learn more about Event-driven architecture, CQRS, DDD.
- You have experience with Docker and containerized environments. Knowledge of Kubernetes is a plus.
MORE THAN A JOB:
Blacklane is a scale-up started in 2011, founded by Jens Wohltorf and Frank Steuer who wanted to create the first global chauffeur service. We started by filling chauffeurs’ ‘empty leg’ journeys and have grown with our partners to over €100 million in annual revenue (pre-pandemic). Backed by Daimler and other investors in Germany, Japan, Switzerland, and the UAE, we’re now a trusted brand within corporate travel.
We believe in ethical business practices and have a strong company culture.
- Continuous Learning: We believe that open and actionable feedback is the essential component of continuous development. Set your personal development plan and take an active role in our internal learning communities to progress your career.
- Flexible Working: Even the most ambitious Blacklaner needs some time to unwind. Find out what works for you and your team with flexible working hours and home office days.
- Become Part of the Crew: Get to know your fellow Blacklaners through our regular team socials. Our success comes from a collaboration of more than 350 people from 70 nations and we are looking for more exceptional people to join us!
- Employee Stock Options Plan: We want all Blacklaners to benefit from the company's success, so every employee gets virtual stock options.
- Fair Remuneration: We’ve banded salary levels and matched them to the local costs of living, meaning you’re always paid fairly and you know that the rest of the crew is too.
- Sustainability: We care for both people and the planet, having launched the mobility's industry-first global carbon offset scheme in 2017. Blacklane has pledged to deliver 15% of its journeys in electric vehicles by 2023.
- Equal Opportunity: We are committed to inclusion and diversity. A company is only as strong as its crew, so we developed a work environment that is inclusive, inspiring and open. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Blacklane Cares day: Every crew member receives 8 hours of paid leave per year to participate in volunteering initiatives of their choice or lead employee-driven community outreach projects. Utilize your time to lend hands to a cause that drives your passion.
Upgrade your career with Blacklane